A postcard published by the Musée du Luxembourge (c. 1915?) shows the painting without the dark markings now present on the hip and legs. A slightly later postcard by the same museum (c. 1920?) shows feintly these marks developing.
The postcard images (source: private collection) and current state animated.
The first recorded owner was Sir Edmund Davis, an Australian-born British mining financier, who made his fortune in South Africa. Both he and his wife were passionate art collectors and gave pieces to the Musée du Luxembourg (which is in Paris) and the National Gallery of South Africa, Cape Town. According to Annie’s obiturary in The Annual Register, 1933, the painting was “bought by Rodin, for the Luxembourg Museum.“
- Medium: oil on canvas.
- Dimensions: 680 x 1670 mm (1.1 m²).
- History: signed and dated 1892; exhibited New Gallery, 1892; 1893, Chicago World’s Fair and Exposition; 1900, Woman’s Exhibition, Earl’s Court, catalogue. Room 2, no. 1444; 1905, Salon de la Société nationale des beaux-arts, Paris; ?-1915, collection of Edmund Davis; bought and gifted to the Musée du Luxembourg, Paris, 1915-1922; 1922-1946, Louvre; 1923 exhibited Manchester Art Gallery; 1946-1971, Museum of Modern Art, Paris; 1971-1981, Louvre (formally transferred back to the Louvre collection 1977); 1981 onwards, transferred to Musée d’Orsay.
- Location: Musée d’Orsay, Paris.