Note that most galleries only have a small portion of their stock on show at any one time. Galleries can be contacted for permission to view works in storage, but be aware that this may not be allowed because of risk of damage to the works or to yourself in areas not normally accessed by the public. An alternative is to wait until the work is on display through normal rotation, or request that a particular work be put on display.
Only works held in public collections are listed below.
Manchester Art Gallery (16)
- 1914. Mrs M. E. Gaskell bequest.
- The Southing of the Sun. Purchased from Annie Louisa Swynnerton.
- Portrait of Mrs A. Scott-Elliot and Children. Purchased from Mrs A. Scott-Elliot.
- 1932. Gift of S. Isabel Dacre.
- 1934. Annie Louisa Swynnerton bequest.
- Louisa Mary Garrett bequest.
- Gift of Mrs. F. R. Wilkinson.
- 1939. Dr Jane Walker bequest.
Bradford Museum and Galleries (1).
- Oceanid. Gift of Mrs C. J. Herringham, 1908.
Gallery Oldham, Oldham, Greater Manchester (1).
- Cupid and Psyche. Gift of Charles Edward Lees, 1892.
Salford Museum and Art Gallery (1).
- The Tryst. Gift of H. Boddington, Jnr, 1880.
ENGLAND (OTHER THAN MANCHESTER)
Ashmolean Museum (1).
- Head of a Bacchante. Gift of Mrs. Richard Shute, 1937.
Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (1).
- Assisi. Gift of Friends of Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, 1934, possibly acquired from the posthumous studio sale of the same year, lot 151 ‘Assisi’ or lot 157 ‘Near Assisi.’
Brighton & Hove Museums and Art Galleries (1).
- Girl with a lamb. Gift (donor and date not given on web site).
Nottingham City Museum and Galleries (1).
- Portrait of Florence H. Musgrave. Mrs. F. H. Musgrave bequest, 1934.
Royal Academy (1).
- The Letter. Purchased from A. E. Anderson by the Royal Academy with the Edward Stott Fund.
Royal Holloway, University of London (1).
- The Young Gardeners (donor and date not given on web site).
- Oreads. Gift of John Singer Sargent, 1922.
- Purchased by the Trustees of the Chantry Bequest.
- New-risen Hope (Tate). 1924.
- Portrait of Dame Millicent Garrett Fawcett (Tate). 1930.
- The Convalescent. 1930.
- Portrait of Count Zubov. Gift of Messrs Wallis and Son, 1932.
- Equestrian Portrait of Elizabeth Williamson. Gift of Mrs F. Howard, 1939.
- Portrait of Elizabeth Williamson. Gift of Chris Thomson, in memory of Susan Thomson 2013.
The Wilson, Cheltenham Art Gallery and Museum (1).
- Oil sketch of a pony. Gift of Mrs M. Taylor, 1944.
Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool (1).
- The Sense of Sight (Liverpool). Gift of Charles J. Procter in, 1896.
Aberdeen Art Gallery (1).
- The Gulf of Spezia. Gift of Hon. Gertrude Forbes Sempill, 1955.
Glasgow Museums Resource Centre (2).
- A Dryad. Mrs A. J. MacLaren bequest, 1940.
- The Soul’s Journey. Gift of Francis Howard, 1952.
Dublin City Gallery (1).
- Thro’ the Orchard. Gift of Hugh Lane, 1912.
Musée d’Orsay, Paris (1).
- Mater Triumphalis. In Parisian collections from the 1910s onwards, including the Musée du Luxembourg and the Louvre.
National Gallery of Canada, Ottowa (2).
- St. Martin’s Summer. Purchased, 1922.
- The Unrelenting Past. Purchased, 1913.
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia (2).
- New-risen Hope (Melbourne). Felton bequest, 1906.
- The Lady in White. Gift of the Campbell-Pretty family, 2020.