The painting was exhibited at the New Gallery in 1891 and was purchased by Charles Lees for Oldham Gallery (a town north-east of Manchester) in 1892. Charles Lees came from a family of wealthy businessmen and factory owners and was a keen collector of art and generous beneficiary to the town’s gallery.
Described in the New Gallery exhibition catalogue, 1891, as “Cupid with deep blue wings. Background of rosy mist and mountain.” The picture in the catalogue shows the painting to have more background detail than is currently apparent possibly due to age-related darkening or the necessarily low-level gallery lighting.
Photos: Jonathan Russell.
LOCATION: GALLERY OLDHAM, OLDHAM, GREATER MANCHESTER. (CURRENTLY ON LOAN TO MANCHESTER ART GALLERY.)